Monday, March 14, 2011

There's Just Something About a Bad Boy

There's just something about a bad boy that is undeniably and universally appealing. They intrigue us, excite us, maybe even scare us a little. But still, we love them.

Is it any wonder then, that I find myself drawn most to the villans in my stories?

The primary antagonist in Bloodletting is a character by the name of Sam Grede. To say that I adore Grede doesn't even begin to describe the magnitude of my emotion. Grede is every bad thought, every bad action, all the deplorable behavior I keep in check and hidden beneath the surface.

(I know some of those who know me may be wondering at what point I keep my bad thoughts/behavior in check, but trust me, it could be a lot worse.)

He gets to say and do the things that law and civility keep the rest of us from doing, and he gets away with it. And for this, I idolize him.

That's not to say that I think it's a good idea to go around, like Grede, severing the tongues of those who talk back to us. But admit it, sometimes you really wish you could.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Grede is by far the best character in the story for my money!