Saturday, July 9, 2011

TGIF?? {1}

This was supposed to post yesterday. Sorry...






Okay, this is my first time doing this -- actually second, since Blogger sent my original Friday post into a black hole --- so bear with me. Ginger over at GReads started it and each week she will pose a different question. This week's question is actually something that I've been struggling with lately so I figured I would give it a try.


Blogger Confession: What's the last book you could not finish? (Or had trouble finishing?)



With most things in life I am a love it or hate it kind of girl. Not when it comes to reading however. I adore all types of books. I read and love every genre. Even if I fail to fall in love with a book I can usually find something redeemable about it -- i.e., the characters were original or the setting was amazing.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm a writer in addition to being a reader. Maybe it's just because I know how much work went into creating it. But I am unable to write a book off completely and I would never have dreamed of not finishing.

Yet, the fact remains most people are not like me. If a reader picks up a book they're not going to be inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt. They're not going to stick around hoping it gets better.

Recently, I finished reading a book (which shall remain nameless) that I hated from the very first sentence. It was awful. Everything about it grated on my nerves. It took me weeks to finish. I remember staring at it and dreading turning the pages.

That is NOT what reading should feel like.

I'm slowly learning that there is nothing wrong with not finishing a book. Especially now that I am offering reviews geared towards the average reading public. I can't tell them to hang in there, that the book will eventually get better. The truth might be that you have fantastic characters or incredible/witty dialogue, but readers will never know it if they can't get past the first few pages.


Okay, your turn. Tell me which book(s) you couldn't finish or had trouble finishing.

---

6 comments:

Mandie Baxter said...

Oh yea! You're doing TGIF too!? I didn't first one this week! So fun! Ive only had 3 books I struggled with...I listed them. So you can rea my post to find out.

Lauren @ Pure Text said...

No fair! The reveal of the book's name was going to be the best part! :P

I respect that you kept the name to yourself, though, especially if the book was by a little-known author.

Now that I'm editing professionally, I too have learned that not finishing a book is okay. This doesn't mean I won't give a book a chance, but my time is limited.

Melanie_McCullough said...

Mandie - I wasn't going too but it looked like so much fun and the question was something I've been struggling with, so I thought, why not?

Lauren - It was a little known author that's why I'm keeping it to myself. I hate giving negative reviews when it might hurt their sales. No point. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean someone else won't love it.

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

I don't like naming books that I disliked, either. I'll just say I had a book that came highly recommended--it's been on tons of award-winning lists--and the topic was right up my alley. I expected to love it.

I couldn't finish it. I hated the main character (her actions and reactions made no sense to me), and the plot moved very slowly.

But obviously, this is all subjective, since many people rave about this book. I really wanted to finish it for that reason, but halfway through, I decided life is too short and I have plenty of other books to read.

Sara Furlong-Burr said...

Oh I like this topic. There have been several books that I couldn't bring myself to finish, but I think the one that I read and actually hated was Breaking Dawn. In my opinion, it contained a myriad of stupidity. Then again, I didn't really care for the series.

Melanie McCullough said...

Jennifer - I actually just picked up your book The Secret Year. I can't wait to start reading.

Sara - I had trouble with the Twiligh series as well. They were enjoyable for the most part, but certain aspects of Bella's behavior irritated me.

I think Edward may have been the most redeeming factor of those books.