Thursday, February 24, 2011

Genre

When you submit a query letter to potential agents they require a few basic items. Simple things, like the title of your work, the word count, and maybe most importantly - Genre.

I understand why lumping your work in with millions of others supposedly just like it is important. Agents need to be able to sell your manuscript to a publisher. In order to do this they need to say "hey everybody likes this book or that one, so guess what, they'll love this".

My life has consisted of little else since I began the first draft of BLOODLETTING two years ago. I've lived and breathed through my characters. I could probably recite the entire manuscript by memory. Still, I'd be hard-pressed to attempt to assign it to a genre.

It should be easy. I mean I know what my story is about. After all, I wrote it. But as a writer it's hard to take a story that you want more than anything to be appreciated by all, and admit that it will only appeal to a few.

No comments: