Thursday, September 1, 2011

TBR Thursday {5}


So it's that time again. Time for my weekly post where I like to draw attention to books by telling you all about the last book I purchased as well as 10 books I've added to my To-Be-Read List.



Last Book Purchased:

Solstice

Solstice, by P.J. Hoover


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Where Mythology and Dystopia meet...

Piper’s world is dying. Global warming kills every living thing on Earth, and each day brings hotter temperatures and heat bubbles which threaten to destroy humanity. Amid this Global Heating Crisis, Piper lives with her mother who suffocates her more than the chaotic climate. When her mother is called away to meet the father Piper has been running from her entire life, Piper seizes an opportunity for freedom.

But when Piper discovers a world of mythology she never knew existed, she realizes her world is not the only one in crisis. While Gods battle for control of the Underworld, Piper's life spirals into turmoil, and she struggles to find answers to secrets kept from her since birth. And though she’s drawn to her classmate Shayne, he may be more than he claims. Piper has to choose whom she can trust and how she can save the people she loves even if it means the end of everything she’s ever known.

SOLSTICE is P.J. Hoover's debut YA novel and is the first front-list novel to be independently published by an Andrea Brown Literary Agency author.

Why Did I Purchase This Book?:

Gorgeous Cover - Check
Great Synopsis - Check
Dystopian - Check
Mythology - Check
$2.99 on Nook & Kindle - Bonus (I'd have paid more)

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.


TBR Books:

Click on book cover to see a synopsis.
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) 1. I Am Number Four, Pittacus Lore
(Yes, I know, the sequel's out, but I haven't read it yet even though I own it. Don't judge me.)
13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) 2. 13 Little Blue Envelopes, Maureen Johnson
(Yes again, I'm aware how far behind I am)
The 7th Victim (Karen Vail #1) 3. The 7th Victim, Alan Jacobson
A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) 4. A Discovery of Witches, Deborah Harkness
Already Dead (Joe Pitt, #1) 5. Already Dead, Charlie Huston
Never Knowing 6. Never Knowing, Chevy Stevens
The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1) 7. The Vespertine, Saundra Mitchell
A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) 8. A Great and Terrible Beauty, Libba Bray
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) 9. Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater
The Book Thief 10. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
--

8 comments:

Mandie Baxter said...

That book looks awesome! I'm looking at my blog feed thinking HOW DID I MISS THIS YESTERDAY?! Then oh...right, it's only THURSDAY! :( You NEED to read I am number four! And Shiver!

Kelley said...

I need to read Shiver (I have the audiobook version somewhere), and I have the ebook of 13 little envelopes. SOO we're behind together :) Happy reading :)

Unknown said...

Nice TBR list!! Mine is so long right now! I wish I had more time, lol.

I liked Shiver and The Book Thief!
And 2.99 for Solstice? Awesome! Thx for the heads up!

And thx for stopping by my blog!! <3
(Btw, funny verification word today: hottind! haha)

Jolene Perry said...

Cool list! I've read half, and have most of the other in my TBR pile.
My local bookstore went under, so I keep going back and loading up on books. It's going to take me a LONG TIME to get through them all.

Melanie_McCullough said...

Mandie - I know. I will. There's just so many books.

Kelley - :) Good to know I'm not alone.

Monica - Thanks for stopping by. And you should pick up Solstice. I've read a few pages and it looks like it's going to be awesome.

Jolene - I love seeing new people visiting my blog. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

Jessie Humphries said...

OOOh mythological mixed with dystopical? I know I made that up.
SOunds fabulous. And a first for so many reasons.

Melanie_McCullough said...

Dystopical - I love it! Thanks for following Jessie! <3

Keriann Greaney Martin said...

A Discovery of Witches is high on my TBR list too :).