Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Writing, Hoarding & Trolls

An incident occurred recently while I was riding in a car with my brother Joey. I was in the driver's seat and we'd stopped at a toll booth so we could pay to cross a bridge. After paying the fee and continuing down the road, I turned to my brother and asked, "have you ever wondered if the toll booth operators are actually a secret race of trolls?"

These are the kinds of questions that get us into trouble people. Of course he'd never wondered this. Most people don't think like that. It's weird.

But weird is what we do. And something about a story I'd once heard regarding trolls that lived under bridges had prompted me to wonder if, in modern times, they disguised themselves as humans, but were ultimately still controlling our passage -- accepting dollars in lieu of answers to complex riddles.

Photo: images.fanpop.com
"Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three,
ere the other side he see."


Imagine how strange it must be for normal people to be around us. We are an unusual bunch.

For one, we're hoarders. We collect pens, notebooks, index cards, and Post-it notes like there's going to be an office-supply apocalypse and we may never see another pen / notebook / index card / Post-it note again.


Our Google search history is peppered with queries for things like:
  • A body's rate of decomposition when submerged in water
  • Effects of chloroform
  • 9 ways to kill an elf
And we have a tendency to ask the most insane questions seemingly at random. To us it makes sense. We were pondering the question while you were speaking to us and assuming we were listening.

Whether this type of behavior is a detriment to my personality or not, I'll never know. It's simply who I am. And I imagine that a lot of you have had a similar experience. So today I'd like to invite you all to share a moment when your writer-crazy surfaced. A moment when the people around you weren't sure if you were a genius or if they should have you committed.

---

5 comments:

Sara Furlong-Burr said...

YAY! I can finally read your post!And I love it! Your comparison of trolls to toll booth operators is right on! I remember going through a booth in New Jersey once where the operator actually swore at us for no reason at all. That was my first taste of Jersey, lol.

I always tell my husband that if he comes up missing my Google searches are going to make me the prime suspect. Not too long ago I searched for "gunshot wounds a person can live from". Pretty soon, I'll be looking for info on domestic violence for a new WIP.

As far as crazy writer quirks, I would have to say my attachment to my laptop definitely raises some eyebrows. I'm constantly glued to the thing and get irritable if I can't do something somewhat productive on it on a daily basis.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love this post. Well of course there must be some creatures in the real world, I doubt all the speculation and myths are all fiction rather than fact... are they? Ahem.

(Btw, Sara, I'm glad my love for my laptop is not alone. I even named it--Lestat, lol) I clearly remember one instance when I was nutty. Last spring, I was all over my fantasy WIP. So much so, I was glued to the wall one day, sketching the New World. My housemates kept asking me to join them for drinks but I kept shooting them down.

I don't remember much of that period, other than the stupid map and the world-building notes. Sigh. Being a writer is exhausting sometimes. :D Thanks for sharing your troll experiences, Melanie. :P

Kelley said...

lol Good post. I'm the same way and definitely suffer from weird-thoughted-writer syndrome. It's mostly my mom and fiance who catch me pondering things that are um...out of the ordinary lol. Figures when you'd ask for an example, I can't think of one, but it happens daily.

Melanie_McCullough said...

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the post. And thank you for sharing your stories with me. It helps me to know that I'm not alone in my insanity.

Oh Sara. Jersey. It's such an interesting state. I was actually crossing a bridge from Jersey to Philadelphia when the troll thought occurred!

Lyn - I'm the same way sometimes. My walls are usually covered when I'm in the midst of writing my novel. With outlines, pictures, drawings. Anything to keep me motivated and keep my thoughts in order.

KD - It's always nice to see a new commenter. Makes me think for a moment that people are actually reading my blog!

alberta ross said...

oh yes - my friends now know I have started these conversations in my head before I finish the thought in real words - it's me - they roll their eyes and patiently ask where it came from, fill them in !!!!

my worlds so much more intense, exciting, treachous than reality - hi there fellow nutcases!