Thursday, June 16, 2011

Check Out My Guest Post

I did a guest post over at R.A. Evan's blog about women and horror.

Women can write horror, too: Guest post by author Melanie McCullough


I am the child of an avid horror fan so I was raised on it. I watched Cat’s Eye when I was 7, graduated shortly thereafter to It (I still can’t stand clowns, thank you very much Mr. King), and can vividly recall a scene in The Gate when a boy uses a Barbie toe to poke out the eyeball that has grown on his palm (I never looked at Malibu Barbie the same way again).

These are the images that shaped my childhood. So, it came as no surprise to me when horror became one of my writing passions. But google “Top Ten Horror Writers” and these are the names that will appear time and time again — Stephen King, Dean Koontz, H.P. Lovecraft, John Saul, Jack Ketchum, Peter Straub, Clive Barker, Richard Matheson, Edgar Allan Poe, Robert McCammon. Noticing a trend?

Read the rest here.

2 comments:

ali cross said...

That was a fantastic article, Mel, thank you! I have a writer friend who I'm sure would love to meet another female-lover-of-horror: http://memoirsofascreamqueen.blogspot.com/ I'll tell her about you too!

Melanie_McCullough said...

Thanks Ali! I appreciate the compliment. I checked out Jenny's blog. It's awesome. I'm following now.