Monday, March 7, 2011

Recent Reads: The Rite

They say to be a great writer, you must also be a voracious reader. I know I am. I love to read and though I am often guilty of judging a book by its cover, I've never met a genre I didn't like. I will read almost anything if it's well written.

The problem I find, however, is that a lot of the stuff out there (especially the inexpensive/self-published books I can download on my Nook), just aren't.

In an effort to save you the trouble and perhaps some money, as I am quickly driving myself into debt with the "quick buy" feature on my Nook, I've decided to post my brief reviews of the books I've read.

The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist by Matt Baglio
The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist, by Matt Baglio

Genre:  Non-Fiction

Why I Chose It:   The fact that I purchased a book about demonic possession and exorcism should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me. I'm fully prepared, however, to admit that I purchased it simply because it was adapted into a film starring Anthony Hopkins. What can I say? I'm just one of those people who has to read the book before I can see the movie.

Overview:  In 2005, in an effort to combat the growing threat of the Devil, the Pope decreed that every bishop must appoint an exorcist for each parish. In America, where most priests view exorcism as antiquated and superstitious, where even a belief in the Devil as anything more than a metaphor is frowned upon, it is not surprising that there were very few takers.

Father Gary Thomas however volunteers for the job and travels to a Vatican sponsored course on exorcism in Rome. It soon becomes clear that in order for him to fully grasp the concept of exorcisms, he must see one performed. Thus begins Father Gary's search for and eventual apprenticeship with one of the Church's premier exorcists.

My Take: Be warned, this is not a novelization of the movie.

I'll admit I was expecting something different. I knew going into it that this was a non-fiction book, but I was still expecting to read things reminiscent of Linda Blair in The Exorcist. While there are a few scenes that made my hair stand on end, if these are the thrills you seek, look elsewhere.

If, instead, you want a compelling, hard to put down story that explains what the Church really teaches about demonic possession, what the priest and the victim experience, and the critical role of an exorcist in today's society, you've found it.

No comments: